New Delhi: The Ministry of Human Resource Development has taken certain major initiatives to promote Digital Education and literacy. Minister of State (HRD), Dr Satya Pal Singh stated today in Rajya Sabha.
1. SWAYAM: SWAYAM will provide one integrated platform and portal for online courses, using information and communication technology (ICT) and covering all higher education subjects and skill sector courses. As on date, more than 28 Lakhs learners have been enrolled in 1000+ MOOCs courses that have been run through SWAYAM.
2. SWAYAM Prabha: SWAYAM Prabha is an initiative to provide 32 high-quality educational channels through DTH (Direct to Home) across the length and breadth of the country on a 24 X 7 basis.
3. National Digital Library (NDL): The National Digital Library of India (NDL India) project is to develop a framework of a virtual repository of learning resources with a single-window search facility. As on date about 1.5 Crore e-books and documents are available on NDL contributed by 160 Content contributor and 30 lakh users from 9 thousand educational institutions were registered on NDL
4. e-Shodh Sindhu: The main objective of the e-Shodh Sindu: Consortia for Higher Education E-Resources is to provide access to quality electronic resources including full-text, bibliographic and factual databases to academic institutions at a lower rate of subscription.
5. The Free and Open Source Software for Education (FOSSEE): FOSSEE project has been promoting use of open source software in educational institutions.
6. Virtual Lab: The project aims to provide remote-access to virtual laboratories in various disciplines of science and engineering for students at all levels from undergraduate to research.
Foreign Universities are welcome to offer their courses on SWAYAM Platform and the examinations shall be done through SWAYAM following SWAYAM Guidelines.